Thursday, January 5, 2012

JGoon's Best of 2011


1. YUCK - S/T
This album has been my “go-to” record of the year. From start to finish an amazing album. I even re-purchased it just to get the B-Sides that are just as strong as the rest of the original album. It’s all been said before, but this IS the best “90’s band” of the last 20 years. Dinosaur Jr. guitar shredding, Pavement fuzziness, & Smashing Pumpkins beauty. This band seems to have come out of a time machine taking all the good parts of these bands and becoming a Voltron of Alternative Rock and restoring the faith of Rock N Roll in this curmudgeon’s heart.

2. ANTHRAX - WORSHIP MUSIC
Welcome back Joey. This is their finest work since Persistence Of Time and it seems like the logical step forward since that album. By far my favorite Metal album of the year. If you gave up on these fellas since the John Bush era, do yourself a favor and check this one out!

3. SCREECHING WEASEL - FIRST WORLD MANIFESTO
My God if Ben Weasel can’t write a ditty as pretty as a titty! I know it’s not cool to like Ben, but you can’t deny his songwriting capability. Melodic, heart-felt, and by golly you can bug out to it. I’m gonna go stick my dick in the mash potatoes. Pop-punk heaven. If Ben puts it out - I’m buying.

4. BEASTIE BOYS - HOT SAUCE COMMITTEE PT. 2
I just used a couple Beastie references in my last pick’s comments and I’ll one up that by picking this for my number 4 of the year. The raps are more “Check Your Head” era with lines like “Ad-Rock’s in the bathroom with chocolate fondue” and “I’m runnin’ wild like rats in the Taco Bell”. They thrive in the diversity of sounds on this album. Bouncing from old-skool hip hop to reggae to their punk-tinged beginnings this was a welcome back to the sound that made them relevant in the first place.

5. FOO FIGHTERS - WASTING LIGHT
I’m not the hugest fan of the Foo, but this album is their best by far on the whole. “Arlandria” recalls the good feelings of “Everlong”, Bob Mould MAKES the song “Dear Rosemary” and after seeing the video for “White Limo” I can’t get the ferociousness of Lemmy out of my head. These songs and more would have been staples on the radio back when that meant something.

6. SOCIAL DISTORTION - HARD TIMES AND NURSERY RHYMES
My first favorite album of 2011. Mike Ness takes his time between records and it always pays off. A lot of people aren’t happy with the country-tinged leanings of the last couple of albums, but I feel that they have evolved comfortably since the Another State Of Mind days. The difference between them and a lot of the bands from this era is that they do it well. Mike Ness may be the coolest motherfucker in all of punk rock.

7. SAMIAM - TRIPS
Just like Social D, Samiam consistently deliver great albums taking their time in stride. I’ve been a fan of this band for a while, as well as all their side projects, but I can’t help but feel their best material has been in the last 15 years beginning with “You Are Freaking Me Out” in ‘97. These guys should be selling out arenas.

8. NOISE BY NUMBERS - OVER LEAVITT
Danny Vapid’s best project since Sludgeworth. This is their sophomore release and they don’t miss a step from their fantastic debut “Yeah, Whatever”. Punk flavored 80’s power pop paying homage to their fellow Chicago brethren Naked Raygun, this is a must have for 2011 bound to have you singing along.

9. DIRECT HIT! - DOMESPLITTER
After releasing a bunch of digital Eps, this Milwaukee pop-punk band released their first proper full length this year. I probably would have put this in the top 3, but 99% of this had already been released. I actually enjoy the original recordings better than what’s on this album - they sound a bit more energetic and urgent. Still, this is an amazing release and highly recommended. They knock it out of the park like Prince Fielder.

10. RIHANNA - TALK THAT TALK
“What?!” You say?…”Rihanna?!” - well fellas, I have a soft spot for pure pop done right and this one had tracks imprinted in my brain to the point I had to stop listening to it because it was driving me crazy, making it hard to fall asleep at night. Yeah, there are some clunkers (the ballads mostly near the end) but I’ll be damned if you can’t respect songs like these. It’s melodic, sexy and more accessible than M.I.A, but with the same attitude.

2 comments:

  1. Great list. Here are a few additions:

    Emily's Army - Don't Be A Dick
    The Steve Adamyk Band - Forever Won't Wait
    Wild Flag - Wild Flag
    House Boat - The Thorns of Life

    -pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eloquent as always Jgoon. I'd have add:
    -the black keys - el camino, sure the sell everything to commercials but when jack white is out pimping himself to the the juggalos, they're the next best thing.
    -fleet floxes - helplessness blues
    -the horrible crowds - Elsie. I'm surprise I didn't see this anywhere. What gives? No love of piano?
    -tv on the radio - nine types of light. This album makes me want to go back to the 80s and start liking Peter Gabriel. I probably wont though...

    ReplyDelete